Covid Prevention and Relief
With all your donations, CORE has been able to provide funds to support efforts by five Nepali NGOS to assist with isolation centres in rural communities and offering food packages to families who are without their daily wages during this very strict lock down. Your help and assistance helps us to help people stay healthy and to help the health workers stay safe while working with their patients.
With these organizations, we determined the priority needs and getting cost estimates for items to help households improve their hygiene and to provide protective equipment for health workers and medical staff working with Covid patients. Many professional Nepalis have taken the lead with numerous groups helping, especially in Kathmandu. However, there is less support in rural areas and a couple of districts, Dolakha and Chitwan, where CORE has worked before show the potential to become hotspots. So far, we have provided support these organizations:
- Himalayan Human Rights Monitors in Makawanpur district, where CORE has an ongoing educational program for marginalized children. We are preparing to distribute hygiene materials (mask, soap) to 4,622 families, PPE with health materials to local health workers, extra food rations to the families of the 100 scholarship students, and a special art class for the students on the prevention of Covid and human trafficking, which has become a problem in families without income during the lock downs.
- Faselung Social Service Committee in Dolakha, where distribution of hygiene materials (mask, soap, sanitizer, medicine) is underway to 1,260 families in rural villages and PPE with health materials is being given to the 24 local health workers
- Clinic Nepal in Chitwan, where CORE provided funds for PPE for medical personnel at a cancer hospital being converted into covid wards
- Stories of Nepal, which is providing relief in most districts of Nepal, with CORE’s support gave food items and hygiene materials to 315 families in extremely poor villages near the Indian border in Saptari and Parsa districts.
- The Partners Nepal in Mahakulung municipality (far SE corner of SoluKhumbu district) for provisions and oxygen cylinders for local health posts. The fears here are that when the many locals working on climbing expeditions as kitchen staff and porters, return to their villages, they will spread Covid contracted at the base camps.